Help & Information

Insuring your car, your home, your life, your health, pets, boats, bikes or travels while living in Spain, as an expat, can be a daunting task. Especially if you don't have a good grasp of the Spanish language.

At efpg, we are here to help with all of that. It's what we do. Here we have brought together a list of the questions we get asked most frequently, so you may well find your answers here. If not, give us a call and we will be more than happy to help.

Car Insurance Information

Insuring your car in Spain? We often get asked similar questions as it can be complicated. But that's what we are here for at efpg, if you don't see your questions answered here please give us a call on the number above.

If you are insuring a Spanish registered vehicle you will need a NIE.

Yes you can, but if you have not been involved in any incidents we will look to give an intro discount equal to the UK maximum no claims bonus.

Yes, the majority of Spanish Insurers include travel assistance/breakdown with the most basic of covers. We will be sure to let you know exactly what you are getting for your money.

Yes. Payment methods in Spain are normally annual, bi-annual or quarterly.

Many insurers will not provide comprehensive cover for vehicles of 10 years or older. efpg can provide Comprehensive cover for older vehicles.

No. When driving a vehicle that does not belong to you, make sure the owner of that vehicle has arranged for you to drive under the terms of their Insurance policy.

Make sure you make note of where the incident occurred, the date and time and description of what happened. Get the other vehicles registration in case they try to leave the scene and a description of the damages sustained by both vehicles.
We all carry a camera in this day and age, so if you can, do take photos of the scene, the third party damage and registration number.
If there are any witnesses to the incident take their details and phone number to include on the form, the European Statement of claim.
Once the European Statement of claim form has been completed and signed by both parties send it through to us within seven days.

Home Insurance Information

Buying a house In Spain? You might have questions regarding your home or property insurance, you might find the answers here. If not, give our friendly staff a call, that's what we are here for after all.

Home and contents insurance covers your house and other structures on your property as well as your belongings for loss or damage caused by such events as fire, theft and flooding. Contents insurance covers the belongings inside your home, including furniture, electrical appliances, clothing, and so on.

Home insurance policies will not cover wear and tear. They are meant to cover damage caused by sudden and unexpected events, not things wearing out, breaking down or failing because they have not been maintained properly.

It can take several months to repair a property that has been severely damaged by flooding. Drying out the property can take many weeks. Trying to repair a property before it is properly dry is likely to lead to problems with damp and mould. The property may need to be decontaminated and cleaned, dried, repaired and redecorated, and this all takes time.

In short the answer is no. Many insurance policies will cover a limited amount of money as part of your contents cover. However, loss of cash will only be covered for the risks insured under the policy, including theft from the home. Standard policies will not cover money that is lost or stolen while you are carrying it. Usually this is provided as an extension to a standard policy and you would have to pay extra for it.

Cover for your belongings while you are away from your home is not part of a standard contents policy. Insurers will offer this as an optional extension with an increase in premium. Usually, this extra insurance will cover items up to a limit that you choose, without the need to list your belongings individually.

You can claim under either or both policies. You must not claim the overall value twice. In deciding which policy to claim under, look at the different limits and exclusions that may apply on each policy.

Check whether the policies have a no-claims discount that you don’t want to lose. Whichever policy you decide to claim under, you must provide the insurer with the full details of the other policy and they may each pay a share of the claim.

It is extremely important to get this right as not having enough insurance can mean that all claims payments you receive may be reduced to reflect wear and tear.

You should insure your contents for the amount it would cost to completely replace them with new items. As long as the amount you have selected is roughly correct, insurers will not unreasonably reduce any claims payments.

In all cases the contents amount insured, or limit that applies, is the maximum amount that the insurer will pay in the event of a total loss such as fire.

Health Insurance Information

Health Insurance can sometimes be a complicated subject. But not with efpg at your side. We are here to help and assist you all the way for that peace of mind when you know that you and your loved ones are covered. efpg, here for what matters most!

Not all insurance products are the same. Here at efpg we recommend the very best in Healthcare with insurance that provides ongoing care with no cost or session limit and yes a policy that provides treatment until rehabilitated.

Yes, you can pay quarterly via direct debit mandate from your bank.

Strictly speaking no, but life can be made more complicated at inception of your policy if you do not have a Spanish mobile. Not to worry if you come to efpg it is simply another hurdle we can help you get over.

Life Insurance Information

Like Health Insurance, Life Insurance can also be a complex subject. With nine different products in this insurance class things get complicated very easily. There is Term Assurance, Whole of Life Insurance, Critical Illness Insurance, Key 3 Critical Illness Insurance, Family Income Benifit, Income Protection Insurance, Over 50's Insurance, Business Protection and also Inheritance Tax Insurance.

If all of that makes your head swim, don't worry, just pick up the phone and give us a call. We are here for you and what matters most in your life.

The amount of cover you need depends on your personal circumstances. Your income and lifestyle, expenses and financial commitments, and the number people who look to you for support. Call us today and we will be happy to help you in deciding what is right for you.

The period of time that you may require cover that is right for you can vary. You might only need cover to ensure your mortgage can be paid off in the event of your death. Or you might take out cover to help family and loved ones who rely on you for financial support. As always please call we are here to help.

If you are diagnosed with a serious illness this cover will provide a cash lump sum to help you and your loved ones at a difficult time. For more information please do not hesitate in giving us a call.

You do not need this cover to get a mortgage but it could help pay off your mortgage if the worst was to happen. Many mortgage lenders recommend it. 

Van Insurance Information

No. If carrying goods, tools or equipment they will need to be insured separately.

Bike Insurance Information

Such cover is not sold as standard but for an additional premium cover for crash helmets, gloves and other kit is available.

No. When riding a bike that does not belong to you, make sure the owner of that bike has arranged for you to drive under the terms of their Insurance policy.

Travel Insurance Information

Make sure you take your travel insurance policy number and emergency contact telephone number with you when you travel. If a problem happens while you're away, keep receipts for everything you need to buy to support your claim.

When you can, get your insurer to agree to medical treatment before it's carried out. If you have items stolen or lost be sure to make a report with the local police within 24 hours of them going missing.

Always tell your insurer about an existing health problem before you take out insurance, or you may not be covered.

Pet Insurance Information

Insurance contract vary but in the main a maximum of five cats or dogs can be included

Not all insurers are the same and cover can vary. We can provide a policy that has no restrictions for age breed or even health

Marine or Boat Insurance Information

Yes. The standard civil liability will not cover you for towing a person behind your boat. This is a normal upgrade at an additional premium.

Useful Information for Expats Living in Spain

Healthcare for UK Nationals Living in Spain

It is important to stay up to date with current developments this side of Brexit, prior to 1st January 2021, and beyond. We think the best advice we can give you here is to stay up to date via the UK governments web portal on

UK-funded healthcare using an S1 from 1 January 2021

We can however advise that If you’re living in Spain before the end of 2020, your rights to access rights to access healthcare will stay the same from 1 January 2021 if you’re either:

  • receiving a UK State Pension
  • receiving another ‘exportable benefit’
  • a frontier worker (someone who works in one state and lives in another)

This means that you’ll get:

  • continued access to healthcare in Spain using your UK-issued S1 form
  • a UK-issued EHIC for travel only. (This is not a replacement for Travel Insurance)
  • planned treatments in other EU countries via the S2 route
  • access to the NHS in England, Scotland and Wales when you’re visiting the UK